~e; fwd: Kicking the Petroleum Habit

From bc <human@electronetwork.org>
Date Sat, 15 Dec 2001 10:37:38 -0600

Kicking the Petroleum Habit
By John Gartner

 From Wired News, available online at:
http://www.wired.com/news/print/0,1294,49126,00.html

2:00 a.m. Dec. 14, 2001 PST
SACRAMENTO, California -- Alternative fuels are not only good for the
environment, but they also protect our national security.

The message that Americans need to wean themselves from foreign oil
echoed continually through the halls of this week's Electric
Transportation Industry Conference.

"Being timid will not reduce the oil gap by 2020," said Thomas Gross,
deputy assistant secretary for transportation technologies at the
Department of Energy, during the conference's opening keynote speech.

The conference features the latest innovations in electric vehicles