~e; Fwd: Rising Fears That What We Do Know Can Hurt Us

From bc <human@electronetwork.org>
Date Sun, 18 Nov 2001 18:35:02 -0600

  [what is below is something of relevance to the goal of educating
citizens about basic
  knowledge of electromagnetism in today's (and yesterday's and
tomorrow's) world.
  that is, local places such as tv stations and radio stations for the
purpose of public
  tours (which are sometimes offered if one gives advance notice)
could become an
  activity of suspicion, as their knowledge (of whereabouts which is
dubious to any
  geographer on the planet) may threaten security. same with dams,
supercomputers,
  and the like. one fear, more and more justified by current events,
is that any 'new'
  knowledge, or focus on such things could put these very things in
jeopardy, either
  physical or mental, in the sense of re-evaluating their current role
in the way the
  infrastructure works. thus, a great, unique, and important cultural
enterprise of
  power, media, and technology may be off-limits to new
interpretations, knowledge,
  and innovation. that is, establishing knowledge of a system of
electromagnetism
  that is currently without-value, as it is invisible mentally, and
now, it could be
  invisible physically, off-limits, and any new knowledge considered
dangerous as
  it may be threatening. this is quite dangerous, as GIS systems which
show all of
  the powerlines or oil lines in the USA would need to be censored,
but then again,
  it would also show how almost all of the oil and gas lines
spider-out from Texas
  to the whole nation, a central point in the industrial oil economy.
basic knowledge,
  kindergarten level, does not exist for the populace, in whole or
part, of how even
  the most basic of everday tools works. like the dark ages, it may
remain 'magic']

--------------------
Rising Fears That What We Do Know Can Hurt Us
--------------------

Information: The government is pulling back on previously shared data
to keep it from aiding terrorists.

By ERIC LICHTBLAU
Times Staff Writer

November 18 2001

WASHINGTON -- The document seemed innocuous enough: a survey of
government data on reservoirs and dams on CD-ROM. But then came last
month's federal directive to U.S. libraries: "Destroy the report."

So a Syracuse University library clerk broke the disc into pieces,
saving a single shard to prove that the deed was done.

The unusual order from the Government Printing Office reflects one of
the hidden casualties of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks: the public's
shrinking access to information that many once took for granted.

Want to find out whether there are any hazardous waste sites near the
local day-care center? What safety controls are in place at nuclear
power plants? Or how many people are incarcerated in
terrorist-related probes?

Since Sept. 11, it has become much harder to get such information
from the federal government, a growing number of states and public
libraries as heightened concern about national security has often
trumped the public's "right to know:"

* At least 15 federal agencies have yanked potentially sensitive
information off the Internet, or removed Web sites altogether, for
fear that terrorists could exploit the government data. The excised
material ranges from information on chemical reactors and
risk-management programs to airport data and mapping of oil pipelines.

* Several states have followed the federal government's lead.
California, for example, has removed information on dams and
aqueducts, state officials said.

* Members of the public who want to use reading rooms at federal
agencies such as the Internal Revenue Service must now make an
appointment and be escorted by an employee to ensure that information
is not misused.

* The Government Printing Office has begun ordering about 1,300
libraries nationwide that serve as federal depositories to destroy
government records that federal agencies say could be too sensitive
for public consumption.

* Federal agencies are imposing a stricter standard in reviewing
hundreds of thousands of Freedom of Information Act requests from the
public each year; officials no longer have to show that disclosure
would cause "substantial harm" before rejecting a request. Watchdog
groups say they have already started to see rejections of requests
that likely would have been granted before.

The trend reverses a decades-long shift toward greater public access
to information, even highly sensitive documents such as the Pentagon
Papers or unconventional manifestos such as "The Anarchist's
Cookbook," a compilation of recipes for making bombs. The popularity
of the Internet has made sensitive information even easier to come by
in recent years, but the events of Sept. 11 are now fueling a new
debate in Washington: How much do Americans need to know?

Attacks Place Internet Content in New Light

The swinging of the pendulum away from open records, supporters of
the trend say, is a necessary safeguard against terrorists who could
use sensitive public information to attack airports, water treatment
plants, nuclear reactors and more.

In an Oct. 12 memo announcing the new Freedom of Information Act
policies, Atty. Gen. John Ashcroft said that, while "a well-informed
citizenry" is essential to government accountability, national
security should be a priority.

"The tragic events of Sept. 11 have compelled us to carefully review
all of the information we make available to the public over the
Internet in a new light," Elaine Stanley, an Environmental Protection
Agency official, told a House subcommittee earlier this month.

But academicians, public interest groups, media representatives and
others warn of an overreaction.

"Do you pull all the Rand McNally atlases from the libraries? I mean,
how far do you go?" asked Julia Wallace, head of the government
publications library at the University of Minnesota.

"I'm certainly worried by what I've seen," said Gary Bass, executive
director of OMB Watch, a nonprofit group in Washington that monitors
the Office of Management and Budget and advocates greater access to
government data on environmental and other issues.

"In an open society such as ours, you always run the risk that
someone is going to use information in a bad way," Bass said. "You
have to take every step to minimize those risks without undermining
our democratic principles. You can't just shut down the flow of
information."

It's a fine line acknowledged by Stanley. "[The] EPA is aware that we
need a balance between protecting sensitive information in the
interest of national security and maintaining access to the
information that citizens can use to protect their health and the
environment in their communities."

The Sept. 11 hijackers, using readily accessible tools like box
cutters, the Internet and Boeing flight manuals, hatched a plot too
brazen for many to fathom. It forced authorities to consider whether
a range of public sites and sensitive facilities was much more
vulnerable than they had realized--and whether public records could
provide a playbook for targeting them.

Officials acknowledge that there are very few examples of terrorists
actually using public records to glean sensitive information, but
they say that the terrorist attacks prove the need for extraordinary
caution.

The first directive by the Government Printing Office, made last
month at the request of the U.S. Geological Survey, ordered libraries
to destroy a water resources guide. While documents have been pulled
before because they contained mistakes or were outdated, this was the
first time in memory that documents were destroyed because of
security concerns, said Francis Buckley, superintendent of documents
for the printing office.

Because the water survey was published and owned by the U.S.
Geological Survey, the libraries that participate in the depository
program said they had little choice but to comply. Some librarians
asked if they could simply pull the CD from shelves and put it in a
secure place, but federal officials told them it had to be destroyed.

"I hate to do it," said Christine Gladish, government information
librarian at Cal State Los Angeles, which has pulled the water survey
from its collection and is preparing to destroy it. "Libraries don't
like to censor information. Freedom of information is a professional
tenet."

Peter Graham, university librarian at Syracuse University, said:
"Destruction seems to be the least desirable option to me. . . .
We're all waiting for the other shoe to drop. Are we going to see a
lot more withdrawals [of documents]? That's my fear."

In fact, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission is reviewing publications
that it has made available through the Government Printing Office,
Buckley said, and it is almost certain to ask for the destruction of
some of its titles.

Some have resisted the push to limit access, even on such
nerve-rattling subjects as anthrax.

The American Society for Microbiology's Web site--an extensive
collection of research articles, news releases and expert
testimony--includes information about antibiotic-resistant anthrax.
After anthrax-laced letters contaminated the nation's mail system,
members of the society debated whether a determined individual could
find and misuse the information on its site.

"We . . . decided not to remove it," said Dr. Ronald Atlas,
president-elect of the scientific organization. "The principle right
now is one of openness in science. . . . If someone wants to publish
[a legitimate research paper], we're not going to be the censor."

But that position has drawn scorn from some of Atlas' colleagues.

"We have to get away from the ethos that knowledge is good, knowledge
should be publicly available, that information will liberate us,"
said University of Pennsylvania bioethicist Arthur Caplan.
"Information will kill us in the techno-terrorist age, and I think
it's nuts to put that stuff on Web sites."

The debate about sensitive information is not a new one. A quarter of
a century ago, Princeton University undergraduate John Phillips
pointed out the dangers of nuclear weapons when he was able to use
publicly available sources to design a crude but functional nuclear
bomb.

Phillips, who now heads a political consulting firm in Washington,
said in a recent interview that cutting off the flow of information
after Sept. 11 is merely a "cosmetic" change when what is really
needed are better means of securing access to nuclear and chemical
facilities and supplies.

Members of the public will be the ones to suffer, he said.
"Restricting information may make us feel good, but terrorists aren't
dumb. They'll still be able to get at this information somehow."

In the past, it has taken a tragedy to buck the trend toward more and
greater public access. That's what happened in California in 1989
after actress Rebecca Schaeffer was shot to death at her Los Angeles
home by an obsessed fan who used publicly available motor vehicle
records to find out where she lived. The state quickly cut off public
access to such records.

Indeed, chemical and water industry groups are lobbying the Bush
administration to curtail regulations providing public access to the
operations of public facilities, data that environmentalists say are
critical to ensuring safety.

And nongovernment entities such as the Federation of American
Scientists have begun curtailing information.

Group Clears Pages From its Web Site

The group recently pulled 200 pages from its Web site with
information on nuclear storage facilities and other government sites.
For a group known for promoting open information, it was "an awkward
decision," concedes Steven Aftergood, director of the federation's
government secrecy project.

"But Sept. 11 involved attacks on buildings, and we realized some of
the information we had up [on the Web] seemed unnecessarily detailed,
including floor plans and certain photographs that didn't seem to add
much to public policy debate and conceivably could introduce some new
vulnerabilities," he said.

"Everyone is now groping toward a new equilibrium," Aftergood said.
"There are obviously competing pressures that cannot easily be
reconciled. The critics of disclosure are saying that we are exposing
our vulnerabilities to terrorists. The proponents of disclosure say
that it's only by identifying our vulnerabilities that we have any
hope of correcting them. I suspect that both things are true."

_ _ _

Times staff writer Aaron Zitner contributed to this report.

For information about reprinting this article, go to
http://www.lats.com/rights/register.htm

  the electronetwork-list
  electromagnetism / infrastructure / civilization
		http://www.electronetwork.org/